Created by a chef and a food marketer in 2016, AVA is a Vancouver-based IoT agtech startup on a mission to unlock the green thumb in anyone. We invented AVA Byte, the world's smartest indoor garden, to empower apartment-dwellers to grow delicious, organic food right at home, all year round, faster than soil.
High growth startup with an office located in central Vancouver, our office is full of great books, delicious healthy snacks, and some really cool technology. Play around with our 3D printers, robot arms, and thermal cameras, or come out for lunch with an entire team of foodies. Have your own dedicated workstation, join us in team building activities, and access to training and development.
What You'll Do
- Lead research in all phases of vegetable and herb production and applied plant science research to improve plant growth success and performance
- Work with Pod Development Manager and research grant partners which may include contractors, universities, PhD and/or Masters candidates
- R&D on our pods and seedlings, including substrate mix, encapsulating nutrients, improving formulations for slow release
- Testing pods and systems to improve yield, nutrition, quality, tip burn, bolting resistance, and improved characteristics like appearance and taste of crops
- Developing, testing, and launching new pods
- Manage our R&D lab for running experiments, monitoring plants and systems, data collection, taking measurements, analyzing data, creating summary reports, propagation and transplanting, and keeping plants thriving
- Educate and manage colleagues in the new pods including claims, benefits, growth times, taste, and growing recipes
- Working with engineers and marketers to improve growing techniques, hardware, growth recipes
- Weekly project status updates to team on progress, timeline, and budget
- Understanding of processes in genetic selection, crosses, and generation evaluation
- Track and report plant health from propagation to harvest
We encourage you to apply even if you do not think you meet all of the qualifications.
- 3+ years of lab or cultivation experience
- Minimum Bachelor degree in sciences
- Preference for specific studies in horticulture, biology, nutrient development, plant breeding and genetics, encapsulation, substrate development, greenhouse, biochar, peat, hydroponics, aquaponics
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and experience in greenhouse, hydroponic, aquaponic, and/or indoor crop production
- Working knowledge of new technologies/methodologies in plant breeding
- Strong technical understanding of design, implementation, management, data collection and analysis of growth chamber experiments
- Organized documentation and written reporting skills
- Experience with data management and data analysis
- Ability to work well with multidisciplinary teams
- Self-starting, ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Interested in a dynamic work environment and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- A passion for food - eating it, cooking it, looking at it, growing it
- As a startup, we all wear many different hats; roll up your sleeves, try something new, and get growing with the AVA team!
AVA is dedicated to creating products that empower people to enrich the planet. Transparent, free-from foods have never been more important, and yet most store-bought produce still comes in plastic packaging, from unclear sources, laced with pesticides, and improperly labelled. So, we set out to create AVA Byte, a smart indoor gardening technology that allows anyone, anywhere to grow their own food in less time than traditional agriculture, with better flavour, more sustainably than even organic. Who wouldn't want better tasting tomatoes and kale, without any pesticides?
||April 30, 2018
|Anticipated Start Date
||May 15, 2018